April 5, 2022
Marketers: No more cookies for you!
Key Questions to Prepare for Targeting Restrictions
With the constantly evolving changes in data privacy regulations, it’s important to ensure your brand is set up for continued success in your marketing efforts.
As we’ve already discussed in our previous blog post, it is imperative that marketers get savvy on the new way forward in terms of data targeting, first-party data collection and consumer content. To start understanding how this affects your paid media campaigns, here are a few questions you can ask your partners or internal marketing teams:
First-Party Data – What You Need to Know:
- Do we have contact database management or CRM systems today that we’re leveraging to collect and store first-party data?
- If first-party data is being collected today, what’s the current condition of those data sets? Are they readily available for targeting?
- Do we need to develop systems for ensuring data is collected in a standardized way and is actionable for us in marketing campaigns?
- How urgently should we consider implementing a first-party data collection strategy?
- What platforms or systems do we need to put in place to house first-party data?
- Are there ways to evolve our existing campaign messaging and strategies to collect first-party data via a value-exchange right away?
Third-Party Cookies – What You Need to Know:
- What aspects of our marketing campaigns are currently informed using third-party cookies?
- Are we leveraging third-party data sets for our media targeting? If so, on which channels and platforms?
- Is there a way to re-create these targetable segments using other data signals (e.g., behavioral, contextual, etc.) that are compliant with current regulations?
- Should we expect to see changes in performance due to the removal of third-party cookies and the impact it has on targeting capabilities?
- Do we need to reset our benchmarks moving forward?
- Will we need to invest our media budget differently to achieve the same level of results?
- In the campaigns and programs where we will be able to continue leveraging third-party data, how is this data captured and stored? How have we conducted due diligence to ensure compliance with consent and data protection regulations?
Understanding where you are will help you map out a strong plan forward. We know that this is an evolution, and that the landscape will continue to change and create more questions and pivots for us as marketers. It’s important that these conversations are ongoing between you and your agency partners.
Ready to have a data discussion?